[Numpy-discussion] Default value in documentation

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 17:22:53 EDT 2007

Hi Pierre,

On 10/2/07, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 October 2007 15:36:03 Alan G Isaac wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Pierre GM apparently wrote:
> > > is there any kind of standard to describe the attributes
> > > of a class, a la :IVariables: in epydoc ?
> >
> > I thought it was ...  :IVariables:
> > i.e., I thought the standard was reST as handled by epydoc.
> > <URL:http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/CodingStyleGuidelines>
>
> Mmh... That makes sense on one side, but it doesn't seem very consistent
> with
> the rest of the Numpy/Scipy standards... I'll stick to :IVariables: till a
> consensus is reached, then.
> Thanks again
> ______

Umm, no, we don't use them in the standards anymore. You should look at the
markup and run some examples. The main problem with the consolidated fields
is that they are all put together as item lists in a definition list and
moved to the end of the docstring when it is rendered. There is also little
control through the .css style sheet, they are all bulleted, and some of the
types are missing. This has been discussed on the list but few have shown
much interest in the topic. The rendering of the current markup can be seen
at http://www.scipy.org/doc/example/

Chuck