[Numpy-discussion] indexing bug?

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Wed Oct 3 13:50:01 EDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Stefan van der Walt wrote:

>>> We certainly can't change it now (just imagine all the code out
>>> there
>>> that will break); but I personally don't think it is a big problem.
>>>
>> I disagree. If people are willing to change the Class API of numpy
>> to be
>> consistent with Python, they certainly should be willing to change
>> this.
>> This behavior is new with numpy, so there should not be a lot of
>> code that
>> depends on it (and shame on those that do :-).
>
> Let me rephrase: we cannot change the API until 1.1, unless this is
> seen as a bug.  To which other API changes are you referring?  The
> style changes is a different matter entirely.

The recent numpy and scipy threads on "adopting Python Style Guide
for classes". If this is what you mean by style changes and it ends
up changing array to Array and int32 to Int32, it's not just a style
change, it will break lots of code ("Since it should effect the user
API..."). These are API changes even if you consider case of the
class name just style.

Perry Greenfield