[Numpy-discussion] More complex data types

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 11:09:53 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking (again) about using numpy for signal processing applications.
> One issue is that there are more data types that are commonly used in
> signal processing that are not available in numpy (or python).
> Specifically, it is frequently required to convert floating point
> algorithms into integer algorithms.  numpy is fine for arrays of integers
> (of various sizes), but it is also very useful to have arrays of
> complex<integers>.  While numpy has complex<double,float>, it doesn't have
> complex<int,int_64...>  Has anyone thought about this?

A bit. Multiplication begins to be a problem, though. Would you also want
fixed point multiplication with scaling, a la PPC with altivec? What about
division? So on and so forth. I think something like this would best be
implemented in a specialized signal processing package but I am not sure of
the best way to do it.

Chuck