[Numpy-discussion] numpy/Windows shared arrays between processes?

Ray Schumacher subscriber100 at rjs.org
Tue Oct 9 11:07:36 EDT 2007

At 05:22 AM 10/9/2007, David Cournapeau wrote:
>Could not this be because you compiled the posh sources with a
>compiler/runtime which is different than the other extensions and python
>interpreter ?

It definitely was - since my 2.4 wanted the free 7.1 compiler, I (and
anyone else who didn't download it in time) are now seemingly SOL
since it is no longer available. I saw much discussion of this as
well, but even 2.5 is now "fixed" on 7.1 and reports of compiling
distutil modules with the new MS SDK and having them work at all with
2.4 were very mixed. I also tried GCC and had a litany of other
errors with the posh.

>Sebastian Haase added:
>I was in fact experimenting with this. The solution seemed to lie in
>"simple" memmap as it is implemented in Windows:

<snip>
I had just found and started to write some tests with that MS
function. If I can truly write to the array in one process and
instantly read it in the other I'll be happy. Did you find that locks
or semaphores were needed?

>(( I have to mention, that I could crash a process while testing this ... ))

That was one of my first results! I also found that using ctypes to
create arrays from the other process's address and laying a numpy
array on top was prone to that in experimentation. But I had the same
issue as Mark Heslep
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/ctypes-users/3192422
of creating a numpy array from a raw address (not a c_array).

Thanks,
Ray Schumacher