[Numpy-discussion] Error in deallocation ?

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:44:39 EDT 2007

> As said, my approach to debugging this kind of thing is to get out of
> python ASAP. And once you manage to reproduce the result when calling
> only a couple of python functions, then you use massif or memcheck.

I agree with you, the problem is that I do not use directly C functions and
that I do not know how I can reproduce the result with a minimal example.
I know I've had once a Numpy problem that was solved by recompiling Numpy
completely, but here, I do not possess a first clue to help me track this
bug.

The reason to get out of python is that tools like valgrind can only
> give you meaningful informations at the C level, and it is difficult to
> make the link between C and python calls, if not impossible in all but
> trivial cases.
>
> But when you can get this kind of graphs:
>
> http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/ms-manual.html
>
> Then the problem is "solved", at least in my limited experience.

Compltely agreed.

Matthieu