[Numpy-discussion] Error in deallocation ?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 11:13:34 EDT 2007

On 10/17/07, Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I'll try it this night (because it is very very long, so with the
> > > simulator...)
> > Yes, that's the worse cases, of course. For those cases, I wish we could
> > use numpy with COUNT_ALLOCS. Unfortunately, using numpy in this case is
> > impossible (it crashes at import, and I've never tracked down the
> > problem; maybe your problem may be enough of an incentive to start again):
> >

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-May/206256.html
>

> The problem is I don't have time for this at the moment, I have to develop
> my algorithm for my PhD, and if one does not work, I'll try another one, but
> this is strange because this algorithm worked in the past...

By incentive, I meant incentive for me, not for you :) I think this
could be really helpful for other problems if this kind as well.

> BTW, I can't use massif. Although the normal algorithm does not use more
> than 150MB, with massif, it goes higher than 2.7GB, and this is before the
> really hungry process.
Using massif with code using a large number of python code is clearly
a no no, since it uses so much malloc. Sometimes, you can just stop
the thing when it is growing up, and watching the resulting graphs.
But this is no fun, and if you have no time...

David