[Numpy-discussion] Improving bug triage in trac ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Sep 5 07:01:11 EDT 2007

Hi there,

    I am personnally a bit annoyed by the way trac handle bug reports,
and would like to know if there is space for improvement. I do not know
much about bug tracking systems, so maybe I just don't know how to use
it, though. The main thing I dislike is the status of tickets and
reports. In particular:
    - I don't know how other feel, but I am rather confused by the meta
data of a ticket, and do not find them really useful from a developer
point of view. It would be quite helpful to have information whether the
bug is confirmed or not, another one which says wether a patch is
available or not. This would make bug triage much easier, IMHO. This
should be possible, since I have seen some trac installation with such
features (wordpad trac, for example).
    - This one maybe a bit more difficult to implement I guess (I don't
know anything about trac internals): I find the general view of bugs for
a given repository really helpful in launchpad, in perticular, you can
easily view the percentage of bugs wrt their status (eg 30 % bugs
unconfirmed, etc...); see for example https://bugs.launchpad.net/+about.
This gives a pretty good idea of what needs to be done for a particular
release.
    How do other people feel about those suggestions ?

    cheers,

    David