[Numpy-discussion] Anyone have a well-tested SWIG-based C++ STL valarray <=> numpy.array typemap to share?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 6 18:10:15 EDT 2007

Xavier Gnata wrote:
> I'm using the numpy C API (PyArray_SimpleNewFromData) to perform the
> conversion but my code is written by hands.

I'd like to see that. How are you getting the pointer to pass in to
PyArray_SimpleNewFromData? It looks like you can do something like:

(VA is a valarray<double>)
npy_intp *dims
dims[0] = VA.size()

NPA = PyArray_SimpleNewFromData(1, dims, typenum, &VA[0]);

Is that what you're doing? Is there any guarantee that &VA[0] won't
change? In any case, I assume that you have to make sure that VA doesn't
get deleted while the array is still around.

> I would like to simplify it using SWIG  but I also would like to see a good typemap valarray <=>
> numpy.array :)

In principle, if you know how to write the code by hand, you know how to
write the typemap.

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov