[Numpy-discussion] how to include numpy headers when building an extension?

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Tue Sep 11 02:35:49 EDT 2007

Christopher Barker wrote:

> I know this has been discussed, but why doesn't numpy put its includes
> somewhere that distutils would know where to find it?

I think one answer is because distutils doesn't have defaults that play
well with eggs.   NumPy provides very nice extensions to distutils which
will correctly add the include directories you need.

Look at any of the setup.py files for scipy for examples of how to use
numpy.distutils.   Once you convert your setup.py files to use
numpy.distutils there really isn't any problem anymore about where numpy
puts its include files and the benefit gained by being able to use
versioned eggs is worth it.

Yes, the transition is a little messy (especially if the build is not
using distutils at all).    But, numpy.get_include() really helps
mitigate that pain.

Thanks for the comments,

-Travis