[Numpy-discussion] how to include numpy headers when building an extension?

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 11 15:53:15 EDT 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> There are the tests, which built and ran fine for me, but
> that's a bit of a complicated mess.

There is a combinatorics problem there that make the tests difficult
to follow.  Lots of nested macros and such.

> Anyway, I'm working on some simple samples -- I'll contribute them
> when
> I get them working!

Great.  I have been considering changing the directory structure of
numpy/doc/swig to include subdirectories: doc/, test/, and now
example/, if there are some.  Some people were confused by its
current structure, which just lumps everything together.  Let me know
when you have a working example.

> OT:
> The struggle at the moment is building a C++ extension -- if I use
> straight C, a trivial sample works, if I call the file *.cpp, swig it
> with -c++, I get a *_wrap.cxx file that won't build. Do I have to do
> something different in the setup.py?

I use numpy.i with C++ all the time.  Let me know the specific nature
of your problem and I'll look into it.

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-5451      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **