[Numpy-discussion] Bitting the bullet: using scons to build extensions inside distutils ?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 14:17:54 EDT 2007

Hi,

>    Starting thinking over the whole distutils thing, I was thinking
> what people would think about using scons inside distutils to build
> extension.

In general this seems like an excellent idea.  If we can contribute
what we need to scons, that would greatly ease the burden of
maintenance, and benefit both projects.  The key problem will be
support.  At the moment Pearu maintains and owns numpy.distutils.
Will we have the same level of commitment and support for this
alternative do you think?

How easy would it be to throw up a prototype for the rest of us to
look at and get a feel for what the benefits would be?

Matthew