[Numpy-discussion] Segfault on wrong use of indexing

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Mon Sep 17 12:44:45 EDT 2007

Arnar Flatberg wrote:
> However, when I tried to to insert a 1-dim array with a 'two-dim'
> index things went wrong:

> Segmentation fault

I do not see this error in latest trunk of numpy (I suspect it's also
not there in the latest release).
> Am I just a horrible user of indices, or is this a bug?

It was a bug.  A segfault with pure Python is *always* a bug (unless you
are using ctypes).
> The situation were incorrect use of indices just passes silently is
> what I find a little disturbing.

Which situation is this exactly?

Thanks for the report.   Don't forget about the Trac pages where bugs
(filed as "tickets") can be reported, checked, and fixed.   See the
www.scipy.org site under the Developer tab for more details.

Best regards,

-Travis