[Numpy-discussion] FPE on tensordot

Alexandre Fayolle alexandre.fayolle at logilab.fr
Tue Sep 18 08:07:14 EDT 2007

Hi,

A user of some code I've written is experiencing some strange behaviour
with numpy.tensordot. I have unfortunately no access to his computer and
cannot reproduce the crash on my machine. The short way of reproducing
this is:

import numpy
a=numpy.array([0.5,0.5])
b=numpy.array([[0.,1.],[2.,3.]])
numpy.tensordot(a,b,axes=(0,0))

This works and returns  array([ 1.,  2.])

import numpy
a=numpy.array([0.4,0.5])
b=numpy.array([[0.,1.],[2.,3.]])
numpy.tensordot(a,b,axes=(0,0))

This crashes with an FPE.

He is running Linux (Debian sarge based) with python 2.3.5. Numpy
1.0.3.1 was compiled manually by the admins of the lab (and I don't know
which options they used, probably the default). The machine is a 32bit
Intel.

I'm puzzled, and welcome any insight on this.

Regards