[Numpy-discussion] Project for Cython integration with NumPy

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Tue Apr 1 02:49:35 EDT 2008

Hi Dag

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<dagss at student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> > I am going to apply for a Google Summer of Code project about "Developing
>  > Cython towards better NumPy integration" (Cython: http://cython.org).
>  > Anyone interested in how this is done can have a look at the links below,
>  > any feedback is welcome.
>  >

> > The application I am going to submit (to Python Foundation):
>  > http://wiki.cython.org/DagSverreSeljebotn/soc
>
>  I now have time to actively discuss and improve it so any feedback from
>  the NumPy community is greatly appreciated. See especially:
>

>  http://wiki.cython.org/enhancements/numpy

One more comment about the constructor described on the page above.
It would be good if we could have the same syntax as the current
numpy.ndarray, and then simply call through to the underlying C
constructor.  We'd also need zeros, empty, ones_like and some other
select functions.  The goal is to remain as faithful as possible to
the original API, so that there is hardly a distinction between Python
and Cython.

Cheers
Stéfan