[Numpy-discussion] Simple financial functions for NumPy

Joe Harrington jh at physics.ucf.edu
Fri Apr 4 11:41:13 EDT 2008

+1 for simple financial functions in numpy, and congrats that it's on
OLPC!  If we have an FFT in numpy, we should have an internal rate of
return.  Anyone with investments needs that, and that's more people
than those needing an FFT.

I agree that Excel will bring in the most familiarity, but their names
are not always rational.  Please don't propagate irrational names.
Consider looking at what they're called in Matlab and IDL, as code
conversion/familiarity from those communities counts as well.  Maybe
for each function take the most rational name and arg order from those
three sources, with strong preference for Excel unless there is a
clear better way to do it.

--jh--