[Numpy-discussion] Simple financial functions for NumPy

Neil Crighton neilcrighton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 06:12:08 EDT 2008

I'm just a numpy user, but for what it's worth, I would much prefer to
have a single numpy namespace with a small as possible number of
objects inside that namespace. To me, 'as small as possible' means
that it only includes the array and associated array manipulation
functions (searchsorted, where, and the record array functions), and
the various functions that operate on arrays (exp, log, sin, cos, abs,
any, etc).

Having a small number of objects in a single namespace means that
numpy is much easier to learn for beginners, as it's easier to find
the appropriate thing for what you want to do (this is also helped by
reducing duplication *shakes fist at .compress* and good
documentation). It's also much easier to explore with dir() to jog
your memory as to what function you need for a task.

If I felt I contributed enough to this list to have a '1', I would be
-1 on adding financial functions to numpy.