[Numpy-discussion] Spyke python-to-C compiler Was: Numpy-discussion Digest, Vol 19, Issue 24

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Mon Apr 7 03:54:04 EDT 2008

A Monday 07 April 2008, Charles R Harris escrigué:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Rahul Garg <garg1 at ualberta.ca> wrote:
> > Quoting numpy-discussion-request at scipy.org:
> > > What will be the licensing of this project?  Do you know yet?
> >
> > I am thinking GPL for the compiler and LGPL for any runtime
> > components which should be similar to GCC. Which version : Version
> > 2 or version 3 of the license is undecided. Will also check with
> > uni to see if they have any problems (they shouldnt). Also need to
> > check with uni for hosting. I believe I will need to host on uni
> > servers.
>
> Scipy and Numpy are BSD and don't include GPL components, so you
> might want to consider a more liberal license.

As I see it, and provided that parts of Spyke are written in Java, it
would be very unlikely that this will ever be included in NumPy/SciPy.
It looks like a compiler, so having the same licensing than GCC
shouldn't bother the NumPy community, IMO.

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"