[Numpy-discussion] numpyx.pyx (recent svn) works?

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Wed Apr 9 04:22:48 EDT 2008

A Wednesday 09 April 2008, Fernando Perez escrigué:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:25 AM, Francesc Altet <faltet at carabos.com>
wrote:
> >  I don't expect you having problems in that regard either.
> > However, I've been having problems compiling perfectly valid Pyrex
> > code with the Cython compiler.  I just haven't had time to locate
> > where the problem is and report it, but people using Pyrex and
> > planning to migrate to Cython must be aware that these sort of
> > things happen.
>
> It would be great to have some examples of this, so we can better
> understand whether they are bugs in cython or deliberate changes in
> behavior.

This is in my TODO list, yes.

> There are some of the latter, described here:
>
> http://wiki.cython.org/DifferencesFromPyrex
>
> and in fact one of those already bit us in the tiny numpy/pyrex
> example, as reported originally in this thread.  If something more
> serious arises we certainly need to know about it, but I know the
> cython devs are a pretty responsive bunch, so I hope we'll have a
> good chance of clean resolutions for those.  Considering how pyrex
> has essentially no public development process to speak of, I find it
> a worrying tool to commit to for the long run, while cython is very
> actively developed, which is always a bonus.

Well, I agree that Greg Ewing (the Pyrex creator) has possibly not been
very speedy in adding the suggested patches (Greg has his own thoughts
on what should be added to Pyrex and what not), which ultimately
brought to the need of the Cython fork, but let me stress out that he
has always been *very* responsive to the questions on the Pyrex list,
and quick enough in fixing real problems in Pyrex.  I'm personally very
satisfied with Pyrex as does its job extremely well.  And I'm specially
grateful to Greg for his *huge* contribution to make the job of doing
Python extensions a pretty simple job.

So, I don't really think that Pyrex should be considered a "worrying
tool" at all (even in the "long run"), rather the contrary, it is a
extremely useful tool.  Having said that, I'm all for pushing Cython
forward (specially if the integration with NumPy becomes a reality :).

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"