[Numpy-discussion] Numpy-discussion Digest, Vol 19, Issue 44

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 10 06:21:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Sebastian Haase <haase at msg.ucsf.edu> wrote:
>  I hope I won't we excluded from further discussions if I would prefer
>  to stick with my "single capital" approach for my "every day modules".
>  I already have a default, "import numpy as N" (and some others of my
>  own modules) for more then 6 years. All over my code.
>  I've just gotten really used to it .....
>  At least Chris Barker seems to like the capital "N" also ;-)

I would really like to see everyone starting to follow the same
conventions for naming, documentation, testing, writing extension
code, etc. as much as possible.  When writing new code please use the
agreed upon standard.  No need to spend your time changing your code
now, but maybe you could start developing the habit of using the
standards.  I am sorry that we can't all agree on these standards, but
some of it will obviously just come down to personal tastes--which
means that someone will have to compromise.

>  Most important:
>             please don't use "from numpy import *"
>  I like being reminded of the (495 or so) names coming from there ....

+1, Absolutely!!

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley