[Numpy-discussion] Win32 installer: please test it

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Apr 13 23:24:04 EDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:

> That's right.  No execution and no error.  The installer finishes
> (quite quickly!)

Doing nothing is quick, even on windows :)

>  as if it did everything according to plan.
>
> Anything I can do to help you track down the problem?  It's a Win XP system.

I think I got the problem. Now, I got it working on my two vmware
windows at hand. Could you try this:

http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/numpy-superpack-python2.5.exe

The problem was that I thought I did set the install directory to a
windows temp directory, but I actually only set up its default value,
and as such the actual numpy installer was put in C:\ (which is a really
crappy default ...). Because C:\ is not in the PATH, it does not work.

I set up the directory correctly, and there should be a message if the
execution of the actual numpy installer fails (there is also more
details in the installation log). I still do not understand why it
worked on one of my windows and not the other, though.

> The default encoding of the machine is set to Japanese (CP931), but
> the langauge is English.

Well, I happend to have the same thing: my university's laptop windows
is in Japanese, and it works on this one too.

cheers,

David