[Numpy-discussion] Win32 installer: please test it

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 00:40:08 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:08 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>  > Seems to work here now, too!
>  >
>  > It doesn't tell you in an easy to see place what version of SSE it
>  > decides to use.  Do you think that's ok?
>
>  I simply did not think it was useful information. How would you like to
>  get the information ?

Well, reason for wanting it were two-fold
1) I think my computer has SSE3, so I would be surprised if it came up
saying it was going to install the SSE2 version.
2) If there are still reports about Numpy crashing even using this,
then the first thing you will want to ask people is "which version did
the installer install for you".  They're more likely to know the
answer if the installer tells them.

I could imagine a couple of ways to show the information:
1) after determining the version to use pop up a message box saying
something like "This will install the SSE3 enabled version of Numpy
1.0.5.   OK?"
2) Put the version used in some text on the final panel (the panel
with the "Details button").   There's a big blank space there now.  It
could say "successfully installed Numpy version Blah.Blah-SSE3"

> To be honest, I do not want to spend too much time
>  on this (I do not use windows at all): I was just really fed up with all
>  the messages about numpy crashes on windows, and wanted a quick, working
>  solution.

Ok.  Didn't realize that.

>  I intend to put everything necessary to create those installers in some
>  place on the scipy.org website of somewhere else in a near future, so
>  that other people can contribute and enhance (the big part is actually
>  another installer, which I annouced a few weeks ago, and which contain
>  blas/lapack and ATLAS for both mingw and vs-based builds, as well as a
>  bunch of scripts to regenerate all of them automatically).

That sounds good.  From there it probably wouldn't take someone else
very long to make the suggested change.  I've used NSIS before, so I
could probably figure out how.

--bb