[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 15 01:36:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Charles R Harris
>  <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I think we have a long way to go to get to 1.1. What API changes have we
>  > made that are so great that we can't release 1.0.5? The only area where I
>  > have seen real problems is in masked arrays. My preference would be to
>  > release the trunk as 1.0.5, and if not, simply deprecate 1.0.4 and move to
>  > 1.1.  I don't think it's worth the time and effort to backport anything.

Also as I was maintaining the release notes for "1.0.5", I started
noticing that we have a fairly extensive list of features/changes for
a microrelease, particularly for such a late microrelease:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/milestone/1.0.5
I would expect most users to expect substantially less changes between
1.0.4 and 1.0.5 than between 1.0.0 and 1.0.2 (or 1.0.3).

This numbering thing is really all about making sure we don't violate
our user's expectations.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley