[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 15 04:59:22 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:35 AM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
>  > How about releasing 1.0.5 without the new masked array,
>  > i.e.
>  > 1. put back the old masked array and release as 1.0.5
>
>  Now that it is done, going back will be a lot of work. It would be great
>  if someone were willing to do it, but who ?

I am not convinced that having a 1.0.5 (sans the new masked array
implementation) is very important.  So I am personally not inclined to
put any effort into making this happen.  Even if someone else were to
make the branch without the new ma, it would still require work on my
part.  I would need to do some testing, ask everyone else to try out
the releases, get the binaries built, put together release notes,
upload everything to sourceforge (if you haven't used sourceforge,
trust me it is no fun), update the scipy wiki, update the PyPI site,
and then send out the announcement.  This process will divert my
effort as well as whoever actually does the majority of the work.  It
will also divert the community as I ask several people to test and
help me prepare the release.

If there is some unknown regression in the current code, then we will
need to make a 1.0.6 and a 1.1.1 release.  Having to support the 1.0.x
and 1.1.x series as we attempt to start developing 1.2 may be to
onerous.  We also need to start concentrating on getting SciPy 0.7
released.  Moreover, I intend to put in more effort on this year's
conference and I intend to ask others to help.  And, of course, we all
have our day jobs.

So given the added effort that a 1.0.5 release would require, we
should think very carefully about what having a 1.0.5 release would
gain us before starting on that path.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman