[Numpy-discussion] Py3K

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 16:23:12 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> You probably should start with the 2to3.py tool (see link at
> http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/).

Looks like a lot of the changes aren't at all backward compatible. The new
style print, for instance, doesn't work with the older versions of python.
So it looks like like we will have to fork the trunk and also decide on when
to release a Python3.0 version and how long to maintain support for the
earlier versions. I think the best thing to do is release a numpy version,
say 1.2, as bug free as we can and with few API changes, put it in
maintenance mode, and move on to 3.0 with a release that is a simple
adaption without API changes.

Chuck