[Numpy-discussion] Matrix vs ndarray

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 15:14:03 EDT 2008

You might find out a lot from reading through this page:
http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users

What I think that doesn't say is why the two classes are needed in
NumPy.  Basically, the reason for that is that Matlab has .* and *
which mean different things, but  Python only has the one * operator.
Some people think that should mean .*,  some want it to mean *.  So
NumPy offers two different classes with different behavior instead of
two different operators.

--bb