[Numpy-discussion] Distutils: using different linker options for c++ and c code

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Apr 17 22:36:04 EDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:

> Ah, this problem again. The build of mingw that you are using were
> written with msvcrt in mind. For the most part they are compatible
> with msvcr71, but there are a few places where they reference a table
> that is different between the two runtimes, namely iostream in C++ and
> ischar() in C.

Do you know by any chance any document/email which talks about that ?
The only things I found were very general (I know file related do not
work, but that's it).

> Consequently, there are some extension modules built
> with mingw which work with msvcrt because they need iostream, some
> with msvcr71 because they need to pass FILE pointers, and probably
> some which won't work with either. The core problem won't be fixed
> until mingw writes their headers for msvcr71. They may have; it looks
> like they just released some new builds this month. It would be worth
> checking these out.

Are you talking about the 3.* or the 4.* releases ?

The new 3.* release seems to only contain a new release note (all the
files except the release note have 20060117-2 in their names).

I also found an unofficial installer for gcc 4.*, which at least claim
to care about python:

http://www.develer.com/oss/GccWinBinaries

The problems with the new official (but beta) 4.* builds is the lack of
fortran support. For some reasons, building gfortran on windows does not
sound really appealing :) Also, I noticed when developing numscons that
numpy (implicetely ?) relied on buggy mingw headers, bugs which were
fixed in 4.* and hence did not work forr numpy (nothing serious, though;
it should be easily fixable in distutils).

Thank you for those information, I will dig a bit deeper. Should we
consider this as a major blocker for numpy as well (since it would not
be possible to build a working scipy with numpy 1.1.0 ?) ?

David