[Numpy-discussion] Truth value of an array

Olivier Verdier zelbier at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 08:33:28 EDT 2008

I certainly didn't mean that "A==B" should return a boolean!!

"A==B" should return an array of boolean as it does now. This is all right.

*However* "bool(A==B)" should return a boolean, *not* raise an
exception. Why raise an exception? What is ambiguous about
"bool(A==B)"??

This is what happens when you write "if A==B" because then
"bool(A==B)" is somehow triggered and bang, an exception is raised.

As I tried to explain, the default behaviour should be that "bool(A)"
return "A.all()" but not an exception. Why is there an exception
raising at all?

I hope that my question is clearer now...

Thanks.