[Numpy-discussion] f2py on windows cant find gfortran because split_quoted() removed from ccompiler.py

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 20 07:36:09 EDT 2008

Hey Pearu,

Sorry about messing up distutils; I have been warned that it can be hairy.

Anyway for those who haven't been following it, last November I
emailed the list a couple of times (obviously I should have checked
with Pearu and could have avoided this) asking if I could remove some
code from numpy/distutils/ccompiler.py.  Basically, we had our own
version of distutils.util.split_quoted() in
numpy/distutils/ccompiler.py, which made a minor change to distutils
default behavior (the fix keeps quotes when a quoted word doesn't
contain whitespace).  I created a ticket and ended up removing the
code:  http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/619

Now it appears that this actually is breaking f2py on Windows:
http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/723

Since my change may have broken something, I went ahead and reverted
it in r5054:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/5054

Hopefully, this will fix the problem with gfortran not being found and
won't introduce new problems.  Now we have come full circle and are
back where we were when I originally brought this issue to the list.

Our version of split_quoted()  was added several years ago and should
I think be submitted for inclusion upstream.  I know that distutils
isn't exactly being maintained, but--Pearu--is it possible that we
could get this upstream?

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman