[Numpy-discussion] numpy release

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:13:52 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Timothy Hochberg
<tim.hochberg at ieee.org> wrote:

> [CHOP]
>
> The proposals thus far don't address two of the major issues I have with the
> matrix class:

The thing that seems missing to me is support for LAPACK's banded and
packed (triangular) storage formats.  I don't have an urgent need for
it, but it seems like a serious front end for doing linear algebra
should at least provide a convenient way to access all of what LAPACK
offers.

Perhaps these other formats could/should be supported by different
classes, though, the way it is done for sparse matrices.  But the fact
that more matrix types could exist some day is all the more reason to
make sure the interface makes sense for more than just strided memory.
 My hunch is if the API is workable for both ndarray matrices and
sparse matrices, then it should be ok for these other formats too.

--bb