[Numpy-discussion] numpy release

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Fri Apr 25 12:33:00 EDT 2008

2008/4/25 Alan G Isaac <aisaac at american.edu>:
>  I must have misunderstood:
>  I thought the agreement was to
>  provisionally return a 1d array for x[0],
>  while we hashed through the other proposals.

The agreement was:

a) That x[0][0] should be equal to x[0,0] and
b) That x[0,:] should be equal to x[0] (as for ndarrays)

This breaks as little functionality as possible, at the cost of one
(instead of two) API changes.

We should now discuss the proposals on the table, choose a good one,
and implement all the API changes necessary for 1.2 or 2.  It's a pity
we have to change the API again, but the current situation is not
tenable.

Cheers
Stéfan