[Numpy-discussion] Distribution Functions Change Behavior

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Apr 28 11:40:24 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Hoyt Koepke wrote:

> A Gaussian fit to data x should fit exactly as well as data fit to ax, a >
> 0, just with a variance a^2 times the original. The only way this would
> not be true is if:

Hoyt,

   This is what I expected, too.

> 1. You are not fitting the variance, but only the mean

   That's probably it; I'm using the midpoint and the width as a surrogate
for FWHM.

   However, by adjusting the FWHM for the Gaussian curve, and tau for the
sigmoid curves when pH is to be plotted, I can achieve the results I need.
Just why I don't really understand, but since this is a very small part of a
large, complex, approximate reasoning model I'll happily remain ignorant as
I move on to testing the rest of the code.

Thanks to both you and Alan,

Rich