[Numpy-discussion] Matrix Class [was numpy release]

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Mon Apr 28 17:44:11 EDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:52 PM, Bill Spotz wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Timothy Hochberg wrote:
>> Bill Spotz wrote:
>> > I have generally thought about this in the context of, say, a
>> > Krylov-space iterative method, and what that type of interface
>> would
>> > lead to the most readable code.
>>
>> Can you whip up a small example, starting with the current
>> implementation?
>
> This sounds like work.  ;-)
>
> I'll shoot for putting something together this weekend.  I think Tim
> is right; we've been talking around in circles, and we need
> something concrete.

I have posted my example (using the current interface) at http://www.scipy.org/ConjugateGradientExample
.  I have also added a link to it from Alan's http://www.scipy.org/MatrixIndexing
  so that they will be somewhat connected.

It is just one example, and provides one small area where the vector
classes would be useful.  I hope others will post similar examples, so
that the design discussion can address concrete, agreed-upon situations.

Note that I started using "row_vector" and "col_vector" as the class
names in my discussion.  No reason to re-introduce camel-case to
numpy, and I think "col" is a universally recognized abbreviation for
"column" and I like the symmetry of the three-letter "row_" and "col_"
prefixes.

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-0154      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **