[Numpy-discussion] Toward a numpy build with warning: handling unused variable

David Cournapeau cournapeau at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp
Sun Aug 3 21:42:29 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 01:50 +0200, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:

> Just to be clear: I meant that I agree with you that we should see
> NumPy related warnings that aren't smothered in bogus messages.  Is
> there no way to do this without compiler-specific hacks?

Yes, there is, but it is more error prone (because then you are hiding
the warning instead of saying it is unused with a safeguard against any
use). I would not call this an hack, because __attribute__ is a well
known, well used gcc mechanism. For people not using gcc, it would not
change anything.

Maybe there are another more portable methods I am not aware of, though.

cheers,

David