[Numpy-discussion] 1.2 tasks

David Huard david.huard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:58:30 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:48 AM, David Huard <david.huard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback. Here is what will be printed:
> >
> > If new=False
> >
> > The original semantics of histogram is scheduled to be
> > deprecated in NumPy 1.3. The new semantics fixes
> > long-standing issues with outliers handling. The main
> > changes concern
> > 1. the definition of the bin edges,
> >     now including the rightmost edge, and
> > 2. the handling of upper outliers,
> >     now ignored rather than tallied in the rightmost bin.
> >
> > Please read the docstring for more information.
> >

> > If new=None  (default)
> >
> > The semantics of histogram has been modified in
> > the current release to fix long-standing issues with
> > outliers handling. The main changes concern
> > 1. the definition of the bin edges,
> >    now including the rightmost edge, and
> > 2. the handling of upper outliers, now ignored rather
> >    than tallied in the rightmost bin.
> > The previous behaviour is still accessible using
> > `new=False`, but is scheduled to be deprecated in the
> > next release (1.3).
> >
> > *This warning will not printed in the 1.3 release.*
> >
> > Please read the docstring for more information.
>
> Thanks for taking care of this.  I thought that we were going to
> remove the new parameter in the 1.3 release.  Is that still the plan?
> If so, shouldn't the warning state "will be removed in the next minor
> release (1.3)" rather than "is scheduled to be deprecated in the next
> release (1.3)"?  In my mind the old behavior is deprecated in this
> release (1.2).

The roadmap that I propose is the following:

1.1 we warn about upcoming change, (new=False)
1.2 we make that change, (new=None) + warnings
1.3 we deprecate the old behaviour (new=True), no warnings.
1.4 remove the old behavior and remove the new keyword.

It's pretty much the roadmap exposed in the related ticket that I wrote
following discussions on the ML.

This leaves plenty of time for people to make their changes, and my guess
is that a lot of people will appreciate this, given that you were asked to
delay
the changes to histogram.