[Numpy-discussion] SSEPlus + Framewave

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:25:45 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Matthieu Brucher
<matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I recall you propsoed a plugin framework for numpy. Where are you on
> that matter ? Still waiting for numscons ?

The problem is not so much the build part, but the clear separation I
was talking about. My experience with ATLAS convinced me the only way
to make sse work reliably is to detect the CPU arch at runtime;
compiling binaries incompatible on different arch is just not scalable
and confuse users.

Technically, to make this work, you need a clear different in the
codebase between the code which calls the C functions changed at
runtime, and the ones which are called by python. Hopefully, I will
have more to say within the end of the week

cheers,

David