[Numpy-discussion] Generalized ufuncs?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Fri Aug 15 01:45:56 EDT 2008

Hi Charles

2008/8/14 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>:
> Re: the patch. I noticed the replacement of the signed type int by an
> unsigned size_t. This is a risky sort of thing and needs to be checked. Nor
> is it clear we should use size_t instead of one of the python or numpy
> types. The use of inline and the local declaration of variables would also
> have been caught early in a code review. So I think in this case the patch
> should have been discussed and reviewed on the list. An internal discussion
> at Enthought doesn't serve the same purposel.

I apologise for not keeping the list up to date with the progress on
this front.  The patch is such a great contribution that I wanted it
to become part of NumPy for 1.2b3.  The idea was to merge it and, once
done, report on the list.  As is, I am still busy fixing some bugs on
the Windows platform and integrating unit tests.  I did, however, get
Travis to review the patch beforehand, and we will keep reviewing the
changes made until 1.2b3 goes out.  The patch does not influence
current NumPy behaviour in any way -- it simply provides hooks for
general ufuncs, which can be implemented in the future.

Thanks for your concern,

Regards
Stéfan