[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.2.0b2 released

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Fri Aug 15 03:59:43 EDT 2008

2008/8/15 Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>:
> The devil is in the details. What exactly do you propose? When we
> discussed this last time, the participants more or less agreed that
> environment variables could cause more fragility than they're worth.
> It also breaks the first time you try to import a numpy-using library
> that was not written with this in mind. Basically, you're stuck with
> only code that you've written.

First, I propose that I write some code.  Second, I do not suggest the
behaviour above, but:

1) Expose a new interface to numpy, called numpy.api
2) If a certain environment variable is set, the numpy namespace is
not populated, and numpy.api becomes  instantaneous to load.

Even if the user forgets to set the variable, everything works as
planned.  If the user is aware of the variable, he won't be using
numpy the normal way, so the fact that numpy.* is not available won't
matter.

Cheers
Stéfan