[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.2.0b2 released

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Fri Aug 15 14:19:10 EDT 2008

2008/8/15 Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com>:
> I don't think it's enough.  I don't like environmental
> variable tricks like that.  My tests suggest:
>   current SVN: 0.12 seconds
>   my patch: 0.10 seconds
>   removing some top-level imports: 0.09 seconds
>   my patch and removing some
>      additional top-level imports: 0.08 seconds (this is a guess)

There are two different concerns being addressed here: ease of use and
load time.  I am not sure the two can be optimised simultaneously.  On
the other hand, if we had two public APIs for importing (similar to
matplotlib's pylab vs. pyplot), we could satisfy both parties, without
placing too much of a burden upon developers.

Stéfan