[Numpy-discussion] C-API change for 1.2

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 10:44:35 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 04:34, Jon Wright <wright at esrf.fr> wrote:
> > Travis, Stéfan,
> >
> > I missed Travis mail previously. Are you *really* sure you want force
> > all C code which uses numpy arrays to be recompiled? If you mean that
> > all your matplotlib/PIL/pyopengl/etc users are going to have to make a
> > co-ordinated upgrade, then this seems to be a grave mistake.
>
> FWIW, neither PIL nor PyOpenGL have C code which uses numpy arrays, so
> they are entirely unaffected. And this does not require an *upgrade*
> of the actually affected packages, just a rebuild of the binary.

What about SAGE, MPL, PyTables, and friends? I don't really know what all
depends on Numpy at this point, but I think Ron's point about Windows
packages is a good one. On Linux I just compile all these from svn anyway,
but I suspect windows users mostly depend on precompiled packages. And this
probably also effects packagers for Linux binary distros like ubuntu and
fedora also, as they have to recompile all those packages and keep the
dependencies straight. True, most of the packages trail numpy development by
some time, but that is also an arguement against the urge to push things in
early.

Chuck