[Numpy-discussion] Possible new multiplication operators for Python

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Sun Aug 17 16:28:55 EDT 2008

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> I am very much against unicode operators. I can see a huge
> amount of problems this will generate, for little gain.

I actually basically like PEP 225,
although I find @*, @+, etc more
readable, and to provide the right
visual emphasis. (Rather than ~*, ~+, etc.)

Additionally, I do not think Unicode addresses
the problem central to the PEP, as there is as
far as I know no standard symbolic distinction
between, say, elementwise multiplication and
matrix multiplication.  So I think the PEP is
basically needed (perhaps with @ instead of ~).

That said, what kind of problems do you have in mind?

Cheers,
Alan Isaac

PS Here are the core unicode math operators:
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/mathematical_operators.html
or if you do not have appropriate fonts you can try
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf