[Numpy-discussion] Generalized ufuncs?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 22:29:22 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>wrote:

> 2008/8/17 Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>:
> > I suggested that we move it to a branch for the time being so we can
> > play with it and come up with examples of its use.
>
> That branch is here:
>
> http://stefan@svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/branches/gen_ufuncs

For an earlier thread about using vector valued ufuncs for sorts and such --
and negative reactions to the suggestion -- go
here<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/20552/focus=20560>.
One of the major objections was how to call such functions with the ufunc
machinery and the needed machinery for type promotions, sub classes, and all
that nonsense. Are these dealt with in the patch? The current numpy code for
all that is a bit of a mess anyway, and it would be nice to figure out some
unified interface to call through and clean up the current code in the
process. In fact, I've been making some preliminary efforts in that
direction by formatting the current code and working through it. Also, do we
also want reduce methods and such? I suspect there is still a lot of work to
do to get this whole thing up and running.

Chuck