[Numpy-discussion] Possible new multiplication operators for Python

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Tue Aug 19 07:57:45 EDT 2008

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> wht I am most worried about is not being able to enter the
> symbol, because I am in an editor I don't know, and the
> symbol is not on my keyboard. This has happened to me more
> than once with unicode.

Well anyone who travels ends up dealing with strange
keyboards, I suppose, but I would hate for the possibility
that someone is in the odd situation of this happening
while not having access to the net (and thus to Vim or emacs)
dictate the decision on this.  That would just not be
very forward looking, especially when one can *in this
case* always use ``dot`` instead.

But we apparently agree that PEP 225 meets the need for
a multiplication operator (with either ~ or @).  Do you
agree with Robert that *only* the multiplication operator is
needed? (See my previous post.)

Alan