[Numpy-discussion] Report from SciPy

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 20:03:27 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Travis E. Oliphant
<oliphant at enthought.com>wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Robert K, Chuck H, Stefan VdW, Jarrod M, David C, and I had a nice
> discussion about the future directions of NumPy.   We resolved some
> things and would like community feedback on them if there are opinions.
>
>  * we will be moving to time-based releases (at least 2 times a year --
> November / May) with major changes not accepted about 4 weeks before the
> release.
>  * The releases will be numbered major.minor.bugfix
>  * There will be no ABI changes in minor releases
>  * There will be no API changes in bugfix releases
>  * Any API changes in minor releases will be done in a backward
> compatible fashion (possibly with deprecations).
>  * Thus 1.2 will not break ABI compatibility but will add new API features.
>  * We will push the generalized ufuncs off to 1.3
>  * NumPy 2.0 will be a library and will not automagically import numpy.fft
>  * We will suggest that other libraries use from numpy import fft
> instead of import numpy as np; np.fft
>  * We will apply most of Andrew Dalke's speed up patches but will keep
> ctypeslib import
>  * We will remove automatic import of numpy.doc from trunk
>  * NumPy 1.2 will come out shortly after the conference (rc1 on Sunday).
>  * SciPy 0.7b1 will come out after the sprints.
>
> If there is anything else I missed from those who were there, please let
> us all know.

There is an excellent discussion of ABI/API issues
here<http://netevil.org/blog/2006/dec/coding-for-coders-api-and-abi-considerations-in-an-evolving-code-base>.
I think we have pretty much come around to the authors point of view, but it
is useful to have things clearly written up.

> By the way,  as promised, the NumPy book is now available for download
> and the source to the book is checked in to the numpy SVN tree:
>
> http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk/numpy/doc/numpybook

Thanks for that.

Chuck