[Numpy-discussion] np.loadtxt : yet a new implementation...

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 1 18:19:24 EST 2008

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>> important to you, why are you using ascii I/O?

ascii I/O is slow, so that's a reason in itself to want it not to be slower!

> More "I" than "O"!  But I think numpy.fromfile, once fixed up, could
> fill this niche nicely.

I agree -- for the simple cases, fromfile() could work very well --
perhaps it could even be used to speed up some special cases of loadtxt.

But is anyone working on fromfile()?

By the way, I think overloading fromfile() for text files is a bit
misleading for users -- I propose we have a fromtextfile() or something
instead.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov