[Numpy-discussion] Py3k and numpy

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:39:24 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com>wrote:

> I noticed that the Python 3000 final was released today... is there
> any sense of how long it will take to get numpy working under 3k?  I
> would imagine it'll be a lot to adapt given the low-level change, but
> is the work already in progress?

I read that announcement too. My feeling is that we can only support one
branch at a time, i.e., the python 2.x or python 3.x series. So the easiest
path to 3.x looked to be waiting until python 2.6 was widely distributed,
making it the required version, doing the needed updates to numpy, and then
using the automatic conversion to python 3.x. I expect f2py, nose, and other
tools will also need fixups. Guido suggests an approach like this for those
needing to support both series and I really don't see an alternative unless
someone wants to fork numpy ;)

Chuck