[Numpy-discussion] Python2.4 support

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 8 01:49:54 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 9:42 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> I am strongly against dropping 2.4 support anytime soon. I haven't seen
> a strong rationale for using >= 2.5 features in numpy, supporting 2.4 is
> not so hard, and 2.4 is still the default python version on many OS (mac
> os X 10.4 I believe, RHEL for sure, open solaris).

While my feelings aren't as strong as David's, they are pretty much identical.

As a point of reference, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 won't come out
until at least the first quarter of 2010.  Until then we should make a
serious effort to support Python 2.4, which ships with RHEL 5.  It
looks like RHEL 6 will be based on the upcoming Fedora 11 release,
which will ship with Python 2.6.  That gives us a minimum of one year
for 2.4 support.  Once RHEL 6 is released, it will take several months
before a sizable number of users upgrade.

Moin has a detailed list of Python versions for various OSes and
hosting services:
  http://moinmo.in/PollAboutRequiringPython24

--
Jarrod Millman