[Numpy-discussion] genloadtxt : last call

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 9 12:59:30 EST 2008

Jarrod Millman wrote:

>>From the user's perspective, I would like all the NumPy IO code to be
> in the same place in NumPy; and all the SciPy IO code to be in the
> same place in SciPy.

+1

>  So I
> wonder if it would make sense to incorporate AstroAsciiData?

Doesn't it overlap a lot with genloadtxt? If so, that's a bit confusing
to new users.

> 3. What about data source?

> Should we remove datasource?  Start using it more?

start  using it more -- it sounds very handy.

>  Does it need to be
> slightly or dramatically improved/overhauled?

no comment here - I have no idea.

> Documentation
> ---------------------
>  Let me try NumPy; this seems
> pretty good.  Now let's see how to load in some of my data....")

totally key -- I have a colleague that has used Matlab a fair bi tin
past that is starting a new project -- he asked me what to use. I, of
course, suggested python+numpy+scipy. His first question was -- can I
load data in from excel?

One more comment -- for fast reading of lots of ascii data, fromfile()
needs some help -- I wish I had more time for it -- maybe some day.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov