[Numpy-discussion] Win64 build?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Dec 14 21:42:10 EST 2008

Klaus Noekel wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to use numpy under Windows Vista 64-bit, but I am scared a
> bit by compiling a 64bit build myself. Is there an installer for Win64
> somewhere, or are there any plans for one?

No.

> Thanks for any advice, including directions for building myself (sigh),
> if that should be the only way.

Do you only need numpy or also scipy ? If you only need numpy, it is
relatively straightforward because you don't need BLAS/LAPACK nor any
fortran compiler. You should use the Visual Studio compiler, though: VS
2005 for python 2.5 or VS 2008 for python 2.6 - mingw does not work well
yet for 64 bits.

Of course, you can also install numpy 32 bits, which should work
perfectly on windows 64 bits,

cheers,

David