[Numpy-discussion] Win64 build?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 03:40:44 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 1:26 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Christian Heimes wrote:
>> David Cournapeau schrieb:
>>
>>> Do you only need numpy or also scipy ? If you only need numpy, it is
>>> relatively straightforward because you don't need BLAS/LAPACK nor any
>>> fortran compiler. You should use the Visual Studio compiler, though: VS
>>> 2005 for python 2.5 or VS 2008 for python 2.6 - mingw does not work well
>>> yet for 64 bits.
>>>

>> The offical Windows builds of Python 2.5 are created with Visual C 7.1
>> (also known as VS2003). You can compile an extension with VS 2005 but
>> that will cause trouble.
>>

> Hm, I may have got confused between the IDE and the compiler version.
> VS2003 cannot build 64 bits binaries, right ? So you need the
> Platform/Windows SDK - which corresponds to the compiler version 14 (VS
> 2005) and not 13 (VS 2003), right ?

For the record, if anyone (including me) needs this info: I checked,
and python 2.5.2 on amd64 is indeed build by a compiler reporting MSC
1400 (VS 2005 serie). I don't think VS 2003 compiler is used at all,
actually - maybe the VS 2003 IDE can be set to use the SDK compilers,
though.

cheers,

David