[Numpy-discussion] Unexpected MaskedArray behavior

Ryan May rmay31 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 11:57:03 EST 2008

Pierre GM wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Ryan May wrote:
>> I just noticed the following and I was kind of surprised:

>> masked_array(data = [5 -- -- 20 25],
>>       mask = [False  True  True False False],
>>       fill_value=999999)
>> array([ 5, 10, 15, 20, 25])
>>
>> I was expecting that the underlying data wouldn't get modified while
>> masked.  Is
>> this actual behavior expected?
>
> Meh. Masked data shouldn't be trusted anyway, so I guess it doesn't
> really matter one way or the other.
> But I tend to agree, it'd make more sense leave masked data untouched
> (or at least, reset them to their original value after the operation),
> which would mimic the behavior of gimp/photoshop.
> Looks like there's a relatively easy fix. I need time to check whether
> it doesn't break anything elsewhere, nor that it slows things down too
> much. I won't have time to test all that before next week, though. In
> any case, that would be for 1.3.x, not for 1.2.x.
> In the meantime, if you need the functionality, use something like
> ma.where(a.mask,a,a*5)

I agree that masked values probably shouldn't be trusted, I was just surprised to
see the behavior.  I just assumed that no operations were taking place on masked
values.

Just to clarify what I was doing here: I had a masked array of data, where the
mask was set by a variety of different masked values.  Later on in the code,
after doing some unit conversions, I went back to look at the raw data to find
points that had one particular masked value set.  Instead, I was surprised to see
all of the masked values had changed and I could no longer find any of the
special values in the data.

Ryan

--
Ryan May